Read Luke 6:1-5
1. Why are the Pharisees mad according to verse 2?
2. What does Jesus use to respond to the Pharisees? How would using David and Old Testament Scriptures as an example have held more weight with the Pharisees?
3. What is Jesus claiming about Himself in verse 5?
1. The Pharisees’ intentions were good when they created rules surrounding the Sabbath. They wanted to protect it! Have you done anything similar? Spend a few minutes now asking God if there is something good in your life you’ve put so many rules around that you’ve taken the joy out of it. Ask Him to show you how to balance.
2. Jesus announced to the Pharisees that He is the One they have been looking for and waiting for... but they missed Him because of their hard hearts. Ask God that He would keep your heart soft toward Him, that you wouldn’t miss Him as you do things that are meant to help point you to Him.
For Further Reading: Note Mark and Matthew’s telling of this same story
For Parents with Kids at Home
As you begin this week, ask God to reveal to you the current rhythm of your family: do you have a weekly time to rest and enjoy God together? If not, be honest with him about it, and ask for him to help you be creative this week to establish a weekly rhythm of rest with your kids.