Ways to Extend an Invitation
Who in your life isn’t following Jesus? Jesus is the only One who can change anyone. So, as a church, our most important mission is to seek out others and get them to Jesus.
If you need a good friend, be a good friend, and watch what God does. Sometimes all it takes is a simple invitation to build a meaningful relationship and jumpstart someone’s spiritual journey.
- Casually ask a family member, friend, neighbor, or colleague to join you at church
- Share a Traders Point social media post or event invite
- Text a friend and bring them with you to a campus
- Pick up a printed invite card from Info Central or share a digital invitation
Having the Conversation
At some point, you’ll need to help people see what Jesus is offering. Maybe you’re not sure what to say. Maybe you’re afraid they’ll ask you a question that you won’t have an answer to.
But you know what? Maybe it’s time to just start the conversation. You don’t have to be perfect. You just have to be real.
Get them talking. Ask more questions and really listen. Learn their story. It’s amazing what God will do and where He will lead the conversation.
When the time is right, ask them to church with a loving spirit. Keep it clear, keep it concise, keep it humble, and make sure that you point them toward Jesus.
Here are some ideas for introducing someone to Christ's love into your conversation:
- “Hey, do you have any plans on Sunday? Why don’t you come to church with me?”
- “My church has some great music and thoughtful messages. If you ever want to check it out, I’d love to have you join me.”
- “You know what? I’d love to tell you sometime what God has done in my life whenever you feel comfortable with that. I’d love to have that opportunity.”
- “Have you ever tried a church like Traders Point? It’s super casual! How about we meet up there this Sunday?”
What If They Say No?
All of us get turned down sometimes, and that’s okay! Just because someone rejects church doesn’t mean they reject you. Just keep inviting, and don’t get discouraged.
Let your daily actions continue to demonstrate the love of Jesus, engage them in meaningful conversations, and maybe ask again down the road. Who knows, maybe next time they’ll say yes.
When you ask someone to church, you’re extending the hope and love of Jesus to someone who desperately needs it. What a gift! And you might just get a front-row seat to life transformation.